Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Fresh Fish for Dinner!

One of the best things about being married to Josh and living in Tauranga is the abundant supply of seafood available for free! One of Josh’s favorite hobbies is fishing. Especially if the sea is as smooth as glass and there is a kayak involved. Two nights ago, after a day of driving and navigating the traffic in Auckland (he had to go put the vehicles for IWT on the boat to Fiji) the conditions were perfect, so Josh and I loaded up the car with his kayak, fishing rod, and my running shoes, and off we went to “the Mount”. On most cases, Josh will Kayak around the mount and I will walk around at the same time. About half way around I could see Josh’s kayak being turned around and pulled in the opposite direction, with his rod bending all the way over, he had a fish on! I was so excited as fresh fish for dinner is one of my favorites and we hadn’t had it in a while. Needless to say, Josh was ecstatic with his catch.

Last night we went up to the Wairoa River with all Josh’s sisters and brother, we found an awesome spot where there is a 10 Meter rock jump into the river, and some picturesque swimming holes. A little secret about me….I love picking fresh fruit, veggies and berries. While everyone was swimming, including the dog, I stumbled across a whole lot of blackberry’s, and before long had an ice cream container filled, now that’s what I call fun! Home to make Blackberry Parfait for dessert! I have to say that was the best dessert I have had in a long time, it even rivals Texas Blue Bell Ice Cream….though I doubt that my Dad would agree.

New Zealand is great for being able to get free food, it just takes a little time a little adventure, and a whole lot of good times!

1 comment:

ariki said...

Misty, that's awesome! Yum! Once again, you come out pretty tops in terms of adaptability! You continue to amaze me at your willingness to be content here....catch up soon, I'd be keen to jump off into that river!