Sunday, October 15, 2006

My new friend Taylor and the Community Gathering

Friday night the IWT staff and 13 member DTS outreach team gathered at the IWT office here in Suva. We had a great hang out time, and I really enjoyed watching our Fijian students mix and mingle with the team consisting mostly of Canadians, Australians, and New Zealanders. It's amazing that 3 of 13 are Kiwi's - that is a big % for a country of 4.2 million.
Following local protocol, one of the local pastors came and officially welcomed us all into the nation of Fiji; declaring that Fiji welcomed us into the land to do the work of Jesus. After this we had two of our student stand up and “practice” public speaking by telling the overseas guests information about their nation. They did a great job instituting everything they had been learning all week long!
A spicy curry dinner was served soon after the speeches. Then we went into recruiting for IWT staff and students for the next IES. I have to say I really enjoyed myself. I spent most of my time talking to a young Californian named Taylor who is really seeking the Lord about her future. I’m glad the DTS team has come. They live upstairs from us and are really loud. Overall though, having young people around who love God is just plain encouraging. I’m sure many more conversations and random acts of craziness will occur with 13 under 25 year olds living above us, in a one bathroom house.

1 comment:

Fairing Well said...

Sounds like fun! Thanks for letting us know about your blog, Misty. Hope to see you again soon!