Saturday, April 25, 2009

The weekend flu....

Well Josh has the flu this weekend, and is absolutely miserable. So you can guess what our weekend is looking like. Lots of rest and relaxing, trying to recuperate before the week kicks off again.

So...I'm getting to put my nurse hat on and figure out how to take care of a sick husband. I just made my first batch homemade chicken soup ever, which Josh declared was the best soup I have ever made. I must admit I am pretty proud of myself, as even I went back for seconds of this soup. If you want to give it a try here is the recipe. It is perfect for the cold rainy weather we are experiencing in Tauranga too.

Chicken Noodle Soup

Ingredients
500 grams (just over a pound) of chicken
500 grams spaghetti noodles
1 can of cream of mushroom soup
1 can of cream of chicken soup
5 cloves of garlic
½ a large onion chopped
vegetables on hand (bean, mushrooms, zucchini, carrot, celery – whatever)
10 cups of water
garlic salt to taste
salt and pepper to taste
herbs (fresh is best, but dried mixed herbs works too)

Cooking Instructions
Pre chop garlic, onion, chicken, and your choice of veggies. Sautee garlic and onions. Throw everything but spaghetti noodles into a pot and bring to a boil. Add the spaghetti noodles to the pot, breaking them into about 1 inch pieces. Reduce heat to medium and let simmer for 35-45 min. Taste and adjust levels of salt, pepper, and herbs to your liking. Eat and Enjoy!

3 comments:

pande said...

Hope you're up and feeling better really soon, Josh. Impressed by the cooking, Misty! I made some great tomato soup also. Yum! Nothing like the homemade goodies. It has been lovely to catch up with you lately. Keep on visiting anytime.
xx

Rosie said...

Sorry to hear you're not well Josh....all that yummy home cooking will have you healthy in not time (that amount of garlic will send the buys scurrying VERY quickly!!!). Hope all is right again very soon.x

Unknown said...

Thanks Liz and Rosie, I feel very loved by my two favourite kiwi aunts! I feel so much better, now misty's under the weather which is no good.