Saturday, February 21, 2009

Culture is always interesting.

Josh is halfway through his teaching trip in Korea...and things have been busy here on the home front. Rahel, a Japanese/Swiss friend of ours from our time in Korea is visiting New Zealand, and we have been keeping busy. In the course of 24 hours, I experienced 2 different cultures....thanks for hanging out Rahel.

It went a little like this. After singing at THOP on Thursday morning, Rahel taught Ula (my Polish friend - yes we are a mix of cultures) and I how to make "real" sushi...this was of course after visiting the Asian supermarket here in Tauranga. We learned how to "flavor" the rice and make the rolls using a sushi mat. It was pretty easy...and really yummy. I think I see more home made sushi in my future.

After our "cooking class" we piled in the car and went to the Bi-Annual "Kapa Huka" festival. It was the first time for it to be held in Tauranga and was very eye opening. Act after act came on stage, and preformed their routines. I must admit we were pretty confused as all the commentary was spoken in Maori, but then our friends Ray an Shanene found us. They were able to explain everything which made the experience much more enjoyable. We then went to watch Ray's friend get his face tattooed (this is called getting a Moku) which looked very painful - but beautiful at the same time.

Culture is definatly always interesting.

2 comments:

ariki said...

yay for sushi!! It's become one of our regulars...Nath is getting pretty good at [eating and] making it now....

Anonymous said...

Teach me how to make sushi please - I LOVE sushi!