Saturday, November 25, 2006

Never a dull moment in the islands.


Well after a full week of teaching, and a full on Thanksgiving celebration, Josh and I are enjoying the weekend (we get to sleep in), however thus far it has been pretty interesting.

After class on Friday afternoon, Josh and I came home with headaches. It has officially become summer here in Fiji and it is SO HOT. You literally drip with sweat when you are just sitting still, so I think we got dehydrated despite the 4 liters of water we drank between us throughout the day. At 5:45 I decided I better do the last few dishes from the Thanksgiving feast the day before so into the kitchen I went. As I turned on the water I noticed the pressure was really low and immediately thought, “Oh no there is another water cut!” Quickly I went into the bathroom, cleaned the tub, and then began to fill it with the small tickle now coming out of the taps. By 6pm there was no water. As the DTS team arrived home from a nice sweaty day of prayer walking, we all groaned as we realized it meant no showers for any of us after sweating all day, and no water to flush the toilets and with 15+ people in the house, that is a non-negotiable….GROSS!

A couple hours later we suddenly heard thunder, the sound of torrential rain, and a bunch of people screaming outside. As we looked out our window we saw the boys from the DTS team doing a rain dance in the middle of the yard. They were yelling out “thank you Jesus, we get to shower!” It was quite funny, and Josh and I went out to have a good laugh. Suddenly, Forest yelled out, I’m going to get shampoo! Moments later a bunch of boys were soaped up, letting the rain wash them clean. It was awesome! Full shampoo and conditioner followed. And before I knew it, Josh and I were out there with them, enjoying a natural shower in our backyard at about 9pm.

Never a dull moment in Fiji, too bad the water is still off and it is Sunday afternoon.

No comments: